St. Ronan’s Primary School serves the town of Innerleithen and the surrounding rural area. Built in the early 1950s on the site of Pirn House and opened 1957 as a primary and junior secondary school is located within some five acres of playing fields at the east end of the town. The school commands one of the most attractive situations in the Scottish Borders.
To the south lies the flood plain of the River Tweed overlooked by the forested hills of Caddon Bank and Plora and to the north the scree slopes of Pirn Craig.
Outdoors there are extensive playing fields which include two football pitches, while tarmac and grass play areas surround the building. An all weather play surface exists and is a facility for school and community use. At the west end of the school there is a pre-school/infant purpose built play area. The playground has been enhanced by the installation of custom play markings. Trim-track style play facilities are available for the middle and upper school at the east end of the school.
A woodland nature trail provides rich educational opportunities and there is also a biodiversity area adjacent to the playing fields.
The school has many partnerships within the community and school events are well supported by all age groups.
At the heart of the community each year a dux boy and girl are chosen from the P7 class to represent St Ronan and his consort to partake in the festival of the Cleikum and St Ronan’s Games ceremonies. Monks and sash girls, two from each P3 to P7, are chosen to be the supporters of St Ronan.