Events

This timeline shows some of the notable events Innerleithen has seen since 1159.


Year

Event

1159

Medieval Church in Innerleithen granted right of sanctuary by King Malcolm IV.

1367

Innerleithen mill and pertinent granted to the Chapel of St. Mary, Peebles by King David II.

1527

Innerleithen common lands divided between Traquair, Pirn and others in the reign of James V.

1701

Cuddy Brig built.

1775

Turnpike road (A72) and first Leithen Bridge.

1787

Poet Robert Burns spends a night in Innerleithen.

1790

Brodie’s (Caerlee) Mill completed, fully equipped. First mill in the Borders.

1810

St. Ronan’s (Silver) Band founded.

1823

Publication of St. Ronan’s Well by Sir Walter Scott.

1826

Founding of St. Ronan’s Border Club by James Hogg and others.

Earl of Traquair erects first pavilion at St. Ronan’s Wells.

1827

First meeting of St. Ronan’s Border Games held on the Batty.

1830

First (wooden) bridge over River Tweed linking Innerleithen with Traquair.

1844

St. John’s Free Church built in Horsbrugh Terrace.

1846

Dobson’s (Leithen) and St. Ronan’s Mills built.

1847

Independent (early Congregational) Chapel built in Chapel Street.

1848

Town Gas Company founded.

First United Presbyterian Church built in Princes Street.

1853

Town Hall built in High Street (No. 20).

1864

Railway from Peebles reached Innerleithen.

1866

Rail link to Galashiels completed.

1867

Parish Church (Church of Scotland) built in Leithen Road.

1868

Formation of the Burgh of Innerleithen under the 1862 Act of Parliament.

1871

Waverley Mills built.

Former Parish Church at Kirklands demolished.

Discovery of the Runic Cross.

1877

Drill Hall (The Cleikum Mill) built.

Public water supply installed, sourced from the Bold Burn.

1878

Second United Presbyterian Church (Craigside) built.

1881

St. James’ Church (Roman Catholic) built in the High Street.

1886

Founding of Innerleithen Golf Club.

New Tweed Bridge built of stone and cast iron.

1887

Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee – commemorative clock installed on gable of Drill Hall.

1889

Congregational Church built in Peebles Road.

1891

Founding of Vale of Leithen Football Club.

1896

St. Ronan’s Wells & Mineral Water Company opens new pavilion and works.

Maxwell Street (Wee) School and the re-built Leithenside School opened.

1897

Lodge St. Ronan’s No. 856 (Masonic) founded.

1904

St. Andrew’s Episcopalian Church built in Leithen Road.

St. Ronan’s Bowling Club founded.

1905

Carnegie Library in Buccleuch Street opened.

1908

Innerleithen Choral Society founded and became Innerleithen and District Amateur Operatic Society.

1914-1918

World War I.

1920

First council houses in Horsbrugh and Buccleuch Street.

1922

War Memorial Garden and Memorial Hall built.

1939-1945

World War II.

1957

Opening of St. Ronan’s School for primary and secondary pupils up to age 15.

1977

Murray Allan opens knitwear factory at former cinema and Drill Hall.

1981

Demolition of St. Ronan’s Mill.

1990

Demolition of Leithen Mills.

2007

Demolition of Waverley Mill chimney and site cleared for building houses.

2013

Closure of Caerlee Mill.